Monday, May 2, 2011

Crafting on a Monday: Beach dress Reconstruction

My MIL got a stash of clothes from her friend but as usual, everything was a few sizes too big. So as we sifted through the pile, imagine my excitement when I found this! I knew immediately what I could do to it!

IMG_1895

And so I begin my rogue adventure to making my very first SKIRT!

IMG_1908

I cut off the top bit of the dress and used the rest of it.

I didn't really bother with measurements, as I said, I'm a rogue (or maybe lazy) crafter.

IMG_1896
First I turned the dress inside out, then I folded the cut end in about 2", and pinned it down.


IMG_1900
Then I proceeded to make the casing for the elastic band. I machine sewed two lines of stitching about half an inch from either end of the casing. Because the fabric was fraying at the edges from the initial cut away from the dress, I used a zigzag stitch to keep the frays in check.

I left a gap of about 2" at the lower running stitch so I can slip the elastic band into the casing. The length of the waistband to use would depend on how tight you want your skirt to be. Generally, it is about 1 to 4 inches smaller than your waistline. I took the measurement for my natural waist, because it would be further shortened when I joined the two ends together.

Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic band and slip that end into the casing. Run the elastic band all around the skirt, but hold on to the other end at all times. I searched high and low and couldn't find a safety pin in the house (!!) and had to resort to tying a knot at one end. As a result, it took me twice as long to thread the elastic band all the way through. It was definitely the most painful part of the whole skirt-making process.

When the elastic band is threaded through, stitch the two ends together, overlapping the ends generously.

The result:

IMG_1907IMG_1902
ONE NEW SKIRT in the closet! I'm loving the final length of it!

P.S. what would you do with the top bit of the dress? I feel like it's such a waste to throw it away! I love the crocheted middle!

4 comments:

  1. a hair band!! :) or a little corsage for j-man! super cute project!

    i love how you're in first position. i can so imagine that you had a huge smile on your face even tho the camera is not looking!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that wld be the day when j wears a corsage, esp one i made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you alter the top bit to fit you and add on a floaty piece of fabric at the bottom? Turn it into a short baby doll! Assuming you're into that look :-) I am! heehee Good job on the skirt btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! thanks! im not into the baby doll thing ( i know you are) but im just gonna cut away the crocheted bits and use them for some other crafts!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...