Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh Motherland!

sunshine
Via pumpkinandbutterfly

On Mother's Day, my call back home was peppered with the usual chit chat, along with news of the Singapore General Elections (GE). I didn't vote, (I was a few states too far away from the nearest polling station) but I did follow the elections, though not as closely as I should have. Living away from Singapore for so long, I think I have become politically apathetic to the general state of affairs in my own country. Not that I don't care, but as they say, out of sight, out of mind. I care more about the rising gas prices here, and the lack of benefits for those who do not have health insurance, me included. In comparison, Singapore, then, seems like a wonderful place to live in. I find it hard to feel for what the people are complaining about.

I totally should keep myself updated. Especially if J and I have plans to move back in a few years (in time for the next GE!) Otherwise we might be in for a rude awakening when, say, we cannot afford to buy a house, I have ZERO CPF savings because I have stopped contributions 6 years ago, and we can't find jobs.

Through this whole election shenanigans, I found funny little world to follow and this L'infantile terrible of Singapore has kept me 'in the loop', sorta, in the past few years. But of course, with all that "social media" (the buzz word these days) you can hardly be oblivious to what is going on around you, no?

I must remember to reinstate my voting rights *eeps*

On another also important side note: Happy Mother's Day to all you selfless mothers out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...