Friday, April 1, 2011

The birdwatching continues...

On Tuesday, because the weather was so fine, J and I went birdwatching at Lake Norman State Park, which was about a 10 minute drive away. Matt just came back from Argentina and wanted to come along, so we picked him up and went on our way. It was a beautiful day to hike around. But at the same time, I think i see more birds in my backyard than in the park. Moreover, the birds were always startled by our footsteps and rustling leaves that they would fly away before I could even look into my binoculars. All in all, I'd seen birds that I would normally see in my yard, and didn't see any species (that were new to me) reportedly seen around the area. On our drive home, though, we'd seen a red-tailed hawk, so that made up for it.


New birds spotted in the backyard!!!




Common Grackle

I love the graduated colours of this blackbird. Calling it a blackbird is a disgraceful misnomer. At a glance it appears to be all black, but in the sunlight, you can see at least 3 different colours from head to toe. This is what I call iridescence. A purple sheen on its head, graduated to a glossy black, and a greenish blue tint on its tail. If this is not beauty, i don't know what is.



Northern Mockingbird

I've only viewed this bird from afar and from indoors. So i haven't heard the beautiful songs it is reputed to sing. It is said that the mockingbird sings more than 150 distinct songs types. Cool right?

Images via Cornell Lab of Ornithology

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...