Friday, September 9, 2011

Mid-Autumn Festival

mooncakes
Via




I am officially homesick!

This is what is happening around the corner.
Firstly, on September 12, it is my dad's birthday. He is 58 this year (OMG! it never really sunk in how he is going to be the big 6-0!) In my mind, he is 48 going on 50.

On the very same day, it is also the Mid-Autumn Festival, a harvest festival some 3000 years ago, which evolved to become a day of family reunions (much like Thanksgiving). The Mid-Autumn Festival takes place on the 15th day of the eighth month of the lunar calendar. On this day, the moon is at its fullest and roundest.

Many legends revolve around this festival, the most popular being the Chinese empress who sacrificed herself by taking the elixir of life before the tyrant king had a chance. She floated away to the moon where she lived forever, lonely and miserable, with only her pet rabbit as company.

As i type this, i have a strange feeling I've blogged about the festival one year ago... I probably did, but i really miss home when this time comes around. Not to mention the traditional mooncakes that families gift to one another. These pastries are stuffed with red bean paste, lotus seed paste, and in these modern times, even ice cream (which i luuuuurrrve!)

Click on the above image to find a link to a mooncake recipe. I'm still wondering if i am brave enough to attempt...

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival m'dears! May you have a lovely reunion with your loved ones this day!

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I know all about homesickness, I'm sorry sweets. Those mooncakes do look delicious. Maybe you could have your own mini celebration with friends, to commemorate the festival in your own way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh festivals! I always love those. When I think Fall, I think State Fair! Bad food, bad rides but such a good time!

    What do mooncakes taste like? It's the first time I've heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...I am sorry you are homesick. Maybe making the mooncakes, no matter how they turn out, and sharing them with friends will make you feel better. :0) Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!!! I'm sorry you're homesick. :(
    Did you end up making the moon cakes? I think they are always so pretty, I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...