Thursday, August 23, 2012

Favorite Things: Top 10 Singaporean Comfort Food

It's 2 weeks before I fly home. I've been making a list of foods to eat when I get there. Singapore is a melting pot of ethnicities and cultures, so the variety of cuisines is readily available in all corners of our little island country.

Here is my Top 10 list with just a teaser of what each food is about. Hopefully, I'll remember to document them when I'm in Singapore so I can share them with you when I return. Right now, I just want to day dream and talk about Singaporean food all day!!



1. Laksa

A spicy coconut-based curry soup served with thick rice noodles, shrimp, and cockles. I load it up with at least two tablespoonfuls of spicy sambal belachan chilli paste. It's legit.


2. Hainanese Chicken Rice

Boiled white chicken, served with rice flavored with chicken stock and garlic. The dish is served alongside 3 different dips : chilli, ginger, and dark soy sauce.


3. Carrot cake

Not to be mistaken for the dessert. This fried "carrot cake" is a misnomer - there is no carrot in the local carrot cake. Made from stir-fried radish (daikon) cubes and more affectionately known as "chai tow kueh"


4. Bakut Teh

Easily one of my favorites. I'm a sucker for herbal soups. Bakut Teh is pork ribs stewed in a delicious herbal concoction. Served with rice and an equally to-die for dip of dark soy sauce and super-spicy chilli peppers, known as chilli padi.


5. Durian

I don't know if this picture is the best portrayal of durians, but durian is to fruits what Elvis is to Rock'n'Roll. 'Nuff said.


6. Chueh Kueh

My guilty simple pleasure. This is steamed rice cake topped with diced fried radish. I have an unhealthy obsession with radish as you may have come to realize.


7. Egg Tart

Finally! A pastry! An egg custard cradled in a melt-in-your-mouth flaky outer crust.


8. Bak Kwa

Similar to jerky, but ten times juicier and more fragrant. Also known as barbecued pork.


9. Ya Kun Breakfast Set

Ya Kun Kaya Toast is a chain of cafes that serves up simple local fare. I always get a set of toast with a butter-and-sugar spread, black coffee and soft boiled eggs.


10. XO Fish Head Noodles

No "XO" is not your "xoxo". It refers to XO Brandy. Any broth with a happy splash of brandy automatically wins hands down. The fish head won't really bother you much after.




Hungry?




Photo credits: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10]


5 comments:

  1. Donch forget Char Kway Teow, Hokkien Mee, Bar Chor Mee Kia, Satay Bee Hoon, Teh C and Tao Suan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting take on carrot cake! I don't like the dessert version, so maybe I would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say I've never Singaporean food before, but I'm really curious to try out the Hainanese chicken rice & egg tart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heared of ANY of these! Oh boy, I'm missing out! and I totally laughed at "there is no carrot in the local carrot cake". then why is it named that way!? xo Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good list of them! Hopefully we'll hit up a whole bunch when you're in town!! Xx

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...