Thursday, November 22, 2012

Count your blessings, and give thanks!


Via

Today, I give thanks and count my blessings, focus on what I have, instead of what I have not. In light of the recent Frankenstorm Sandy, this Thanksgiving is made even more poignant.




I am thankful for J and Scuffy and how their presences bring so much joy into my life. This is the first thing i see when I wake up in the mornings, and it starts my day off right. I am thankful for my family here who loves me, even as my own is missing me on the other side of the planet.



I am thankful for a healthy body and a sound mind. I want to be in the best condition I can possibly be in, so I have kept alcohol consumption to a minimum, and have not touched a cigarette in the last month. It's amazing how we abuse our bodies and call them pleasures. I don't smoke a lot, but it is a bad habit I have. Whenever we go out for drinks, I find that it's nice to have a cigarette with a beer. In the last month, instead of drinking beer, I opted for sweet tea, then I don't even crave a cigarette (why didn't I think of it before!) With the holiday season coming up, it's going to be tough, but I'll be able to see how strong my determination is. I want to keep up with my yoga, to keep myself flexible and strong. I've also recently picked up running again, in hopes of building my stamina. Maybe in the coming year, my only problem would be my sweet tea addiction!




I am thankful for a roof over my head. Our water pipes burst last month, because of rust (the house is at least 60 years old). We were without running water for a week, while waiting for the plumber to fix things. I realized how comfortable and easy life is for us, living in this modern day. Imagine winters without central heating, drawing water from wells when we need a drink, reading at night without electrical lighting!



I am thankful that in times like these, I have a job, that pays me enough, to make ends meet, and a little extra for simple treats, like eating out, or buying crafting supplies to indulge in my hobbies. I am growing more conscious of the simpler luxuries in life - things that do not require much or any money to give pleasure or happiness. Taking Scuffy for walks, reading in my favorite armchair, watching birds at my feeder, a little bit of embroidery!



I wish for you, this Thanksgiving and hereafter, to be able to count your blessings, and be a little more contented with life than before.
Happy Thanksgiving my friends!







3 comments:

  1. that photo of J and scuffy is precious :) Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that first photo with the quote AND the one with your sweet babies! So much to be thanksful for!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...